View Single Post
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #231
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

What is a "frozen turkey"?
I thought this was interesting. Its from http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa110709a.htm

"Fresh vs Frozen: Thanks for heavy lobbying by the Tyson Corporation the definition of "fresh" when it applies to poultry means it has never been cooled to lower than 26 degree F. Now I promise you, if you pick up a turkey at 26 degrees F it is hard as a rock so the term "fresh" doesn't really mean anything when buying a turkey at your local store. It just means that it hasn't been hard frozen. Truth is, flash frozen turkeys (frozen fast to below 0 degrees F) can be fresher tasting that many "fresh" turkeys that have been sitting around for a few months.

To further complicate matters the USDA definition of frozen means that the turkey has been brought to a temperature no lower than 0 degrees F. Turkeys stored at a temperature of 5 degrees F can actually be labeled "not previously frozen", though they can not be labeled as fresh. These turkeys are considered "hard-chilled" or "deep-chilled". Personally I call temperatures between 0 and 26 degrees F something other than chilly."

"One quick note about hormones and antibiotics. The rule with poultry is that it can not be given hormones of any type. As for antibiotics, they can only be used for the health of the turkey if a withdrawal period is given to allow the antibiotics to leave the birds system. So if you find someone marketing hormone free turkeys point and laugh at them, then walk away."

Thanks from: --->