View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.
That's certainly incorrect. When brought to temp, ceramic cookers exactly mimic a brick over cooking environment giving excellent stability and radiant baking qualities that don't exist with metal cookers. Can you bend and twist and 'cook' all the same things in a Weber, of course you can, but not with the same ease ceramic inherently gives right out of the box.

I'm a huge Weber fan, probably more than half my outdoor cooking is accomplished on one of them. Why, because there are many tasks for which they simply outperform ceramic. But not all. I will give you one specific example of something that cannot be done realistically on a Weber. Frequently I do low & slow followed at the end with a few pies so that I can serve bbq & pizza at the same time. I can load an egg with lump, throw a brisket on at the appropriate temp for, lets say 8 hours, pull & wrap it, toss the pizza stone on & open up the bottom vent about 2 inches & bring the 275 degree egg to 650 degrees, bake a few pies, & by the time they are pulled, the brisket is ready to slice & I can serve it all at the same time. All on one cooker with no additional fuel & no reconfiguration necessary (except to slide the pizza stone in). This kind of versatility is hard if not impossible to match on an un-insulated metal cooker.

As for the original poster's question, without being redundant, any cooker you add to your collection will enhance your abilities, versatility and overall enjoyment - I frequently say the same thing to people stuck on the misguided belief that ceramic is the 'only' cooker they need. Can you live with one variety of cooker, of course, is it more fun to have different ones, indeed.