View Single Post
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnasty View Post
As some may already know, I drove down to Conroe, TX this past week/weekend to pick up my Lonsestargrillz insulated vertical smoker. It was a long trip but worth every mile with my teenage son. It seems the older they get the less time I get to spend with them. Some of you already know what I mean. I got to Conroe late Thursday afternoon. Exhausted to say the least. Got to Lonstargrillz Friday morning. As some have mentioned, it is a shop behind the owners home. I pulled in and was immediately met by Chris the owner. He introduced himself and took me to a loading dock where my smoker was waiting on me. My first impression....HUGE! About 800# worth! This thing was a beast! I guess I never realized how large it was from the pictures. Chris gave me the grand tour of the smoker as well as his shop and all the projects that were going on. He even took me to his back yard deck and showed me his vertical smoker in his outdoor kitchen. We talked BBQ for at least an hour. He is a super nice guy and is doing it the right way. His product line is top notch. He uses heavy steel and the craftsmanship is superb. If you are considering a vertical insulated smoker you have lots of choices. But it would be in your best interest to consider Lonestargrillz. Ive only seasoned mine so far and cooked a little bacon to check for eveness of heat per rack. It did a great job. cooked even from front to back and shelf to shelf. The cooker held heat for over 8 hours just from seasoning on maybe 2lbs. of lump. I took a few pictures while I was at his shop but for some reason I cant get them to load to my computer. Ill work on that. I cant express enough how impresssed I was with the build quality, heavy gauge steel and massiveness of this unit. It took 6 of us to unload it! The cooker is definitely commercial quality and I expect a long life and some great Q. I'll keep you guys posted and try to get those pictures to load. Im gonna try some butts this coming weekend so I'll post a report on that cook as well.
Welcome to the LSG family! When I went to pick up my pit, Chris was gone getting baby formula at the store, so I settled up with his wife. They really do a great job for such a small operation and I was really happy to support a small ma and pop business for a change rather than a big company or a box store. As I was loading my pit up I saw one of the insulated pits waiting to be picked up and I was impressed with it's size as well, that thing can hold a lot of food! I'm sure that you are going to have many great experiences with your new baby, I've had mine for nearly five months now and I'm still finding new things that I can do with it. It's such a joy to cook on a quality pit after cooking for so many years on a cheap box store offset and the amazing thing is that with about ten times the cooking capacity, my new vertical offset uses about the same amount of fuel as the old pit did! LOL! So congrats, you made a great decision on your pit builder!