View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #50
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default The Mighty Meaty smoked meatloaf and Gravy

Please accept this as my official entry into the "For The Love Of Gravy" Throwdown.

My entry began last week, Friday with the preparation of a Demi Glace. Some of you may recall. the process is outlined here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...76&postcount=1

Basically after many hours I ended up with a pot of gold that looked like this.

When strained through a fine China Cap this was what was left. It then went into the fridge to rest.

Yesterday I picked out 1 chuckie, 1 really well marbled short rib, and 1 ribeye end

I cubed them up and seasoned it with my Prized Santa Maria Rub from Oakridge BBQ, Thanks again folks.

Course ground everything together.

To which I added 2 eggs, 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, parsley, oregano, and onion flakes. Mixed it all together and formed my loaf, added some veggies on top and dusted again with my new rub.

I set up my trusty Vision Kamado for indirect smoking and lite 1/2 a chimney of lump. Then I got busy with my veggies and aromatics for my gravy. 1 small vidalia onion, 1 stalk of celery, julienned carrots, a whole garlic head and Thyme, Rosemary, Bay Leaf, and Oregano. Drizzled with olive oil and course salt and pepper.

The pan was set on the lower shelf of the Kamado with a 1/2 cup of chicken stock added to prevent it from burning.

Meat loaf front and center on a piece of parchment paper trimmed to the shape of the loaf so the drippings could fall below.

Halfway in about an hour later, I was running at about 225 degrees.

When the meatloaf was done, it was foiled and rested and I broke down the cooker and stirred up the coals for the grand finale.

Wok this way!

Now the bits go in the wok

With a full measuring cup of gold

Bring it to a low boil

Strain it through the China Cap into a skillet

Back on the heat to reduce and thicken with one tablespoon cornstarch mixed into a slurry with cold water.

The meatloaf sliced and plated as well as my polling pic if you please.

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Member KCBS, FBA, CBJ, and Founder French Bbq Association www.kcbs.fr
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->