View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Fighting the cold and wind will increase fuel use significantly. The wind was pretty strong here last night so that is probably the biggest culprit.

But you can still buy a sexy vertical if it makes you feel better
Ron,

Thanks for reminding me about the wind. You're probably right. Back when I first joined the Brethren, you would always read about wind and people building wind blocks. I haven't seen much discussion of wind blocks recently. Occasionally, I do move my grill around to try and shield my drum, but didn't this time. That probably contributed.

I've been debating for a while suggesting a meet up so you could show me your Backwoods. I got it bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Most likely a combination of things ...fuel and outside temps. LOL, set your mav alarm to something like 200 degrees and not 20*

With our Midwest weather i'd consider a ATC like a IQ because it makes the burn more efficient and you'll get more mileage out of a basket. You know how it is temps drop down 30 degrees at night so a auto pit stoker is just what the doctor ordered.
I understand where you're coming from and sort-of agree. But, I got a 14" cast iron diffuser in there. If it moves more than 20*, something has changed. I think 20*+- is good at this point to start monitoring it. If it keeps going then do something. If it has dropped 50*, it is, imho, too late for minor adjustments and more drastic measure are usually required.

I do have a iQ110 ATC. It has worked for me, but it has also caused me problems (bad probe placement with full loads). I think you're right that when the temps are dropping is an ideal application. But, when the weather is constant, you should be able to run a drum steady without one. AND, more importantly, I feel more like a real man when I don't use it. So, these days, I'm avoiding it when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
if you have a Trader Joes near you their natural briqs are very good.
Walking distance.
I've heard that before. I'll have to try a bag once I use up my current stock pile. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Water heater insulation blanket!
My drum has it's own welding blanket. I guess it is going to have to come out of storage. I didn't think we were there yet with the weather.

Thanks all for the suggestions. It's funny, I do recall having this exact problem a few years back when I did a butt for my wife's December birthday, which led to me starting to use the blanket. But, my memory swears I've done plenty more without this problem. And I think of all those posts I see of people smoking with 3' of snow without blankets and such. I just don't cook enough and my memory lies to me.

I got another overnight cook scheduled for next week. We'll see how

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote