View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Looks great, can't beat a good home made bread. I have a question on the broiler pan, Is it resting right on the bottom oven element, can't tell from the pic?
Those are some nice looking loaves too!

KC
I have a gas oven. It's just sitting on the floor of the oven. My heating element is below the floor. If you have an electric oven with exposed heating element, I'm not sure how you would place a container for water. You do need the moist environment to get a good exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
nice - I wonder if that works well in an oven on an off-set?
If you can pull off 450 and also have a place to hold water to steam off, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
Nice loaves! Pro tip about the flour - it matters big time. Look for high protein content - around 12.5-14% - the more protein = the more gluten, the more gluten = the higher the rise in your final bread. If you want it light and fluffy, go for high protein flour
I've had very good luck with bread and regular all purpose flour. The AP flours I use have a protein content of 10.5 - 11.5. I think the King Arthur AP flour has 12.5 protein content. The bread flours are higher, but I haven't noticed much if any difference in appearence, flavor or crumb with either AP or Bread flour with this method. That could just be from the lack of kneading.

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->