Originally Posted by hollywood4
I am going to try to smoke my first pork butt tomorrow (home tailgate for ILLINI vs Wisconsin) I am using a Master Forge Cabinet smoker. I have a few questions and will appreciate any advice.
1. Wood or Charcoal? Both? I have been using apple wood and Kingsford for my ribs and they've turned out good.
2. Do I need to spritz it with apple juice or water periodically or just let it cook?
3. I use 3-2-1 for my ribs, should I wrap the pork butt at any point?
Thanks for the help.
1. I do wood and charcoal, gives it a better smoke flavor. If you are feeling like trying something new, stick to the apple wood but try some lump charcoal.
2. I don't spritz, I like a nice bark.
3. I don't wrap I just let it cook. If it is your normal 8lb or so butt give yourself plenty of time to cook it. I like to take mine to 200 - 205 for a nice easy pull.