View Single Post
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslisaj View Post
This year I purchased a Brinkman Pellet Grill/Smoker at Home Depot and have grown to love this machine. I grill and or smoke everything on it and use it at least four days a week. I was buying my pellets from Home Depot and paying around $9 a bag for 20 pounds or so depending if there was a special. I even had a electrical outlet install out where my smoker is located so I didn't have to use an extension cord any more. I'm kind of committed to this cooker now. Well recently I go into my local Home Depot and find out they don't sell pellets any more. I checked their website and apparently Home Depot is getting out of this business. There is one other specialty store in town where I live that sells pellets so out of desperation I go there. I just paid $20 for a 20 pound bag of "gold" pellets containing premium woods. I was shocked and this immediately starts to price my beloved pellet grill out of action. So I did a little research on heating pellets which are a fraction of the cost at $5 for a 40 pound bag. I have read all the warnings and comments and I just wanted to add mine to the discussion.
I called the company and these pellets are 100% Doug Fir. Absolutely no additive or chemicals and while the person I talked too said he couldn't tell me to cook with them he uses these pellets in his cooker. Well I bought a bag and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they worked. Remember I am using my grill for everyday cooking and occasional smoking. I carefully did a couple of cuts of meat with the new pellets and didn't use any rubs or shakes. I just wanted to sample the meat to see if this wood imparted any odd taste or flavor. I couldn't really tell any difference. The Doug Fir didn't really smoke as much as the "real pellets" but it cooked just fine and had a taste of cooking on a campfire which I liked too. These pellets seemed to burn hotter then the "cooking pellets" and so far leave practically no ash. So at this point I am kind of sold.

I welcome your comments or criticism as I have truly learned how to cook on this grill from you folks on this forum. But I just wanted to share my experience and so far it's very positive.

Lisa
It's not worth the risk for me to do it for myself. Ron touched on the major points already, and there are reasonable food grade options. I just don't want the bag that was pressed when a supplier slipped in some sawdust from pressure treated lumber, or a new guy that used some new lube that contains chemicals that weren't disclosed.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote