View Single Post
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #11496
DjPorkchop
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Hello great looking drum there DjPorkchop. Just curious if you may have restricted air flow issue? Do you have the 2" bung hole open on the top of the lid as well as your 4 stacks or just the 4 stacks. The four stacks has a area of 1.76625 inches. I only run with a the two inch exhaust which has an area of 3.14 inches. Almost double the size of just the 4 stacks. My temps settle in at about 275 with my one inch ball valve open half way and the other two caps closed! I use royal oak lump from Menard's because i can get it at just under 3 bucks during the Memorial Day sale! I start my fire with a weed burner which should be equivalent to about a half to a full chimney full of lit coals. Also if I would need to i can run the temp up to 350 or even 400 with just the ball valve. Just dont give up do a few more practice runs till you figure out what works best for you. Also dont be afraid of a temp swing of 20 or 30 degrees either direction. Once you learn your beast you will love it and the family will love the great q!!!
Hello rifraf and thanks for the reply. I did have the 2" as well as the 1" (??) closed during the seasoning run.

I do plan to give it another run this weekend if the weather treats me good. Before I go and ruin some expensive cuts, I am tossing the idea around about doing some chicken maybe and some MOINKS and a couple fattys. If things turn out good, then great and I can look like a Q king to the wife and kids and if it goes bad, then well it was only chicken anyhow and I got to practice running the old girl again.

I appreciate your reply and look forward to hearing form you again. Take care and happy Q'ing!!
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote