View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

For the home cook one of the most economic ways to make brown poultry stock is as follows.
Save all leftover bones in the freezer and when you accumulate enough thaw in frid.Roast on sheet pan in oven to achieve browning without burning(Maillard reaction) Place bones in stock pot(taller, thinner pot) cover with cold water and slowly bring to boil and simmer no more than 4 hours.This is a base stock to be used for whatever purpose but.......If it is to be used alone than one hour before it`s completion you may add your mirepoix(celery, onions, carrots) bay leaf ect.For soup no need to add vegies. in stock as they will be part of the soup(no waste) Popular food scientists have agreed cooking most vegies. in a fluid more than one hour is not nessessery. I let my strained stock cool and place in the frig. and the risen fat acts as a barrier from bacteria forming.Once a week I bring the stock to a boil and before usage.There is a rest. in China that has a portion of a double stock that is over a hundred years old.Blond poultry stocks are different and most Chinese cooks bring raw bones to boil and dump the first batch to eliminate the coagulated fluids and start over for clear broth.It`s simmered and never boiled to eliminate cloudiness.