View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #11482
DjPorkchop
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, firs time poster in the UDS thread.

So I saw a guy on the big video site that built a nice looking UDS and I got the bug in a bad kind of way and then I found this site and this thread. Needless to say, a few dollars later, I buily my first UDS.

I picked up some lump coal from walmart and sprayed the inside down real good with a whole can of cheapo cooking spray including cooking racks. I then filled my coal basket and dumped my chimney of coal in and put in the racks and closed the old girl up. Off she went.

No on that video I watched, the man got his up to 200, put the cap on the rear vent and closed his 2 ball valves half way, brought it up to 225 and there she sat all day.

In my case, I put the cap on the rear vent at 200 and closed my valves half way and the temps plumeted well below 200. I then opened the valves all the way and left the cap on and it came up to 200 on the dial (250 i would guess). And there it sat. I then took the cap off the back vent, closed my valves half way and she leveled out at 225 on the dial, again I'm sure not accurate. I actually found myself chasing temps for a better part of 5 hours.

Like I said, the coal I used was the 6 pounds of lump that Walmart sells and I have heard bad things about it. The only other option I have is Sams club and they have the 40 lb bag of best of the west and 40 lb El Diablo Mesquite.

Decisions decisions. This is my first smoker ever and by the end of the day of seasoning, I was plum worn out chasing temps. Any good tips or advice?

Take care everyone and happy Q'ing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg udsbuild.jpg (286.5 KB, 565 views)
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote