Originally Posted by luke duke
Here's another pit with the lip.
I emailed with him last night and he had added a deflector plate, it just wasn't on in the pics.
Also, at the suggestion from others, I am having him add an isolation plate with handles and a gasket ring that I can drop-in in place of the grill grate on the firebox for when I am not planning to grill/reverse sear to help conserve fuel.
I am off tomorrow (normal day off), so I am planning on hitting up the local butcher for some grub to throw on it after seasoning it.
Pick-up is Saturday at 2pm.
For seasoning, I plan to do the following:
- Wipe down with wet rag to get all dust and debris out
- Spray down with canola oil
- Get a nice hot fire going with charcoal and a couple splits
- After a couple hours of heat, throw a couple packs of store bought bacon on the racks for extra seasoning and looking for hot spots to guide me in adjusting the tuning plates
- Once tuning plates are dialed in, throw on something that cooks quick for dinner
Any adjustments I need to make in that procedure?
- My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link
- Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG
w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Mini WSM (from SJS)