View Single Post
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I won't say gasket failure is common because after all.... we only hear about failures. It's rare for the subject of a new post to be something like "Yippee, my gasket is 3 years old today and going strong", but it does happen. Even normal use will sometimes wear them down to the point you need to replace. I've had some worn ones on one of my Eggs for several years, just haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Premature failures like you had should be covered under the warranty, if fact if your dealer is cool, instead of just giving you a new kit, they might even come over and do it themselves. If they do, stick around and watch because eventually you will have to replace them again.

A few years back BGE got a bad batch of gaskets (self adhesive felt-like material), and the glue was bad... causing the gaskets to release and actually fall completely off, sometimes into the cooker or onto the food. The company provided replacements, but the users had to purchase a special kind of adhesive, then clean and prep the surfaces, then install the new one. This caused an enormous amount of heartburn with new owners, but corporate took a hard line on this. (Some BGE dealers did have a different policy). At any rate, it appears some other ceramic manufacturers and dealers took notice of all the bad publicity and go out of their way to correct any gasket problems which happen early, like in the first year.

There is also an option of fiberglass gaskets which are really long lasting, but they come with a warning about the material coming in contact with food, so they are strictly after market.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->