View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up I know better than to start a Thread when I'm tired and frustrated .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
* - high end stick burners like the Klose, Langs, etc.. My BYC can go for 2-3 hours at a clip just using logs if I plan it like that.. or 4-6 hours if I use a basket.

* the backyard models like the bandera and chargrillers... the need tending every 45 minutes. once u get the hang of it you can stretch it to 60-90. If you really want extended burns in thos you NEED a charcoal basket..
--------------------------------------------------------

I see how my comments may have come across depending on who reads them and their views. I do enjoy the fire prep and early tending ... BUT ... that last 15 lb whole brisket took 13+ hours and then cooler time. To eat at a fairly early hour means that it goes in around 10:00 p.m. I can enjoy and handle the "4-6 hours" you mention, but not the 45 min .... maybe 60 min ... all night long.

I am also asking a lot to get both a quality smoker PLUS a decent cooking area griller in the $500.-$800. range. Some great suppliers do one or the other, but not both ..... unless I have missed one.

My Thread was probably not well thought out and was stimulated by seeing a source for the Outlaw very near $200. For many, that is a great solution, but I would be asking too much of it for that cost.

Apologies ALL ... I will continue to add mods, etc. to my Large BGE and focus on learning all it will do WELL. Then, if there are real shortcomings I will look for something to fill the gap(s). I admit, I am a 'gadget' guy and am always intrigued by new stuff.

Thanks and regards,
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote