Thread: Large Event
View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Are you saying you are going to do one 100 pound pig? And then fill in the balance with 50 pounds of pulled pork? Raw weights, I assume? You will end up with around 70 pounds of finished product, even at 1/4 pound per serving, that is 210 servings.

I would guess that 2000 people, even at 50% buying, you are going to me about 800 servings short. I have to agree with Tim and Jacked Up, you are in over your head. You need the capability to fire up over 500 pounds raw weight of pork butts, that means commercial sized smoker, and at least two assistants, four if you are using volunteers.

On Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
really, if they are just looking for someone to cook what they give them... then who cares if they are idiots.. I would advise them of how much meat they will have all said and done post cook. 100# hog and 50# butts will give you at best 60 pounds. what I charge WITH MEAT for that would be $700. 6 butts plus the pig - would also come with sauce. if they are providing the meat... I've do that too.. my time worth $3 a pound raw weight cook. which is about the difference between the meat cost and my time/effort to get the product.

hope that helps...
If it was me, and I owned a business or wanted to, I would care. People would neither know, or care, why I didn't have enough meat, they would only know that I didn't serve them. And it has been my experience that when the kinds of people that cheap out and tell you they will buy the meat, and grossly under-estimate, are the same people that will burn you when what they tell you to do goes wonky.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote