View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Turkey Osso Bucco

Please accept this as my official entry into the "Legs" Throwdown.

Legs, so many choices and lots of time to think about what to enter while flying home Wednesday. Here is my spin on an Italian Classic. Turkey Osso Bucco.

I began my adventure trying to find fresh turkey legs in my local market to no avail. Most turkey legs around here are already smoked and packaged this time of year. I did manage to find a couple after several failed attempts and they were huge!

I had to work quickly while my wife was out at the dentist, because I didn't want her to see me with a hacksaw cutting up the legs for my Osso Bucco. They were nice and thick!

I grilled them first over direct heat very hot to sear the outsides and seal in all the juices.

While that was progressing nicely, I rough chopped Yellow Onion, Carrots and Leeks.

Pulled the browned turkey off the grill and wrapped it all up in foil, and started to sweat my veggies.

I then fried up the left over portions of the shanks in olive oil and garlic, once I had some nicely browned bits and color, I added some more stock and reduced it to a slow roil.

Combined the two too complete the brazing liquid and brought up the temperature a bit.

Then I set up the kamado for indirect with the defuser stone on the lower grate. By utilizing the lower grate rather than the plate setter, it allows me to cook at a higher temp as there is more air circulation.

Everyone is all nestled in for a 2 hour slow simmer!

1-1/2 hours in I added some fresh cut rosemary to kick up the flavors a notch.

Platted with Garlic and Onion Smashed Spuds, French Epi Bread, and thickened the stock with cornstarch for the gravy. It was really tender and moist. Please use this as my polling pic.

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->