View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc1998 View Post
I have been trying to read from the enormous amount of information here from all the experts, but its a little over whelming. I am on a short time line for a company BBQ next month. Can you help point me in the right directions for the following questions?

1. A co-worker has some Water Oak that was cut down and piled up, but not split, I can have all the wood I can use from it. Any thoughts about using water oak? Prior experience using water oak left a bitter taste but maybe that was something else or not just not seasoned long enough after splitting.

I haven't used Water oak, but depending on when the tree was cut down, it will take a while for the wood to cure if it was just piled up and not split.

2. We have an open turn in. Any suggestions? Usually, we turn in ribs but was thinking of doing something other than the normal. It can be any meat grilled or smoked.
If you want some thing that will wow the judges, you might think of doing something out of the norm. Something like a rack of beef short ribs (dino bones) or a stuffed pork loin People eat with their eyes first and if you can get their attention with something impressive and deliver on flavor, you will win.

3. Any recommended recipes for cooking briskets? We normally are given 3-4 to cook but have never won on this part. We only have about 12 hours from the time we get the meat to turn in.
I prefer to keep brisket simple. 1 part kosher salt, 1 part course ground pepper, 1/4 part garlic powder (by weight)
Put in the smoker at 300-325.
Wrap when the brisket gets to the color you want and then finish it to probe tender on the thickest part of the flat.
Pull off the smoker, let it vent for 15-20mins to prevent over cooking.
Wrap and hold in cooler or an oven (turned off) for a minimum 2 hours
A 12lb brisket will finish in about 6 hours of cooking, then add in the rest time

If you want to do burnt ends, when you pull the briskets off the smoker, cut the point off the flat and do 1in cubes of the point. Throw some extra rub on it and some sauce, and throw them in an aluminum pan and back onto the smoker for approximately an hour.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
Here are some dino bones wow factor of it. I have to find the stuffed pork loin pictures I have to show the wow factor of it.

Thanks from:--->