So, in my introduction thread (link
), I described a new smoker I am having made. It has a 2'x'2'2' firebox and 2'x2'x3' smokebox (so a ~4'x4' footprint) and will be ready in a few weeks and I am looking to have a final plan for the patio arrangement that is as safe as possible from possible firebox contact and home damage as the firebox is uninsulated and I have a toddler. We also have an above ground pool with gate access near the area I want to have the smoker. A typical traffic pattern is from the back door of the house to the swing gate for pool access, so I plan to have my prep table act as a barrier to the firebox to force people from walking directly towards the firebox.
I have sketched everything to scale in the sketch below.
I am mainly looking for recommendations on how close I should put the smoker to the house. Is 2' a safe distance for the vinyl siding from the non-insulated 2'x2'x2' firebox? If not, what distance do you recommend?
I am also considering the following options should the recommmendation more than 2-3' from the house.
- Buy a sheet of Hardie board and mount vertically about a foot behind the smoker...then maybe store wood behind the board (Soffits also have gutters installed).
- Mount a piece of insulating board wrapped in fire blanket on the back side of the firebox.
- Think of alternate arrangements.
Any thoughts you have on my proposed arrangement are welcome as well as things I might have overlooked in my considerations.
- My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link
- Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG
w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Mini WSM (from SJS)