View Single Post
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
peeps
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Thoughts on Patio Arrangement for New Smoker

So, in my introduction thread (link), I described a new smoker I am having made. It has a 2'x'2'2' firebox and 2'x2'x3' smokebox (so a ~4'x4' footprint) and will be ready in a few weeks and I am looking to have a final plan for the patio arrangement that is as safe as possible from possible firebox contact and home damage as the firebox is uninsulated and I have a toddler. We also have an above ground pool with gate access near the area I want to have the smoker. A typical traffic pattern is from the back door of the house to the swing gate for pool access, so I plan to have my prep table act as a barrier to the firebox to force people from walking directly towards the firebox.

I have sketched everything to scale in the sketch below.

I am mainly looking for recommendations on how close I should put the smoker to the house. Is 2' a safe distance for the vinyl siding from the non-insulated 2'x2'x2' firebox? If not, what distance do you recommend?

I am also considering the following options should the recommmendation more than 2-3' from the house.
  1. Buy a sheet of Hardie board and mount vertically about a foot behind the smoker...then maybe store wood behind the board (Soffits also have gutters installed).
  2. Mount a piece of insulating board wrapped in fire blanket on the back side of the firebox.
  3. Think of alternate arrangements.

Any thoughts you have on my proposed arrangement are welcome as well as things I might have overlooked in my considerations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patio Arrangement.jpg (35.9 KB, 532 views)

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote