View Single Post
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I used to sail as a deck officer on tankers. In school we learned all the techniques for navigation primarily dead reckoning, and celestial navigation. By the time I graduated electronic navigation had come to existence (Loran) not GPS as we know it, but pretty clever stuff, for that time, All of the shipping companies that I worked for required that we continue to do all the manual systems that we knew. It could take 45 minutes to take a celestial position, or you could go the loran machine and have one in three minutes. The theory was – if this new technology should fail, you still have a job to do….safely navigate the ship to its destination.

I think that it somewhat applicable here (otherwise I would not be wasting your time). All the new toys are great and I do own them. However there is not enough that can be said about knowing now to work without them. I had a failure on a temp controller this weekend at a comp on one of my cookers. It had been so long since I had to do in manually….I was up most of the night adjusting openings, on a cooker that for years I just used to set and forget.

I think is just makes sense – and you know, sitting there with a cold beer, good book, some hard driving blues and a sleepy dog—I think that is what got me started in this to begin with.
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->