View Single Post
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
cousinconley
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Leaf Pit Masters View Post
i have a bullet style smoker like that, that has a charcoal pan that i modified with air holes and such, but it burns terribly slow and never builds heat, almost like its not getting enough air? it will smolder at about 180degrees and smoke like a train but wont get get. im sitting here studying your pics trying to see any differences in what i can do. any suggestions?
From my understanding, the weber bullet is pretty air tight minus the vents. My situation I tried compensating for the draftiness by reducing the airflow around the charcoal...the only other place I could do so. My goal was to get a longer burn at a steady temperature. If I was to stack an equivalent pile of coal on a grate and place it in my smoker, it would rise drastically to near 600 F. Just trial and error on my part.

In your scenario...have you tried dumping in a pile of lit coals then closing down the vents to bring down the temp? Not sure how well that would work. Some of the mods I have seen in addition to drilling the holes is placing a grate in the pan to bring the coals a bit up from the bottom of the pan...trying to increase the airflow I think.