View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
On the road to being a farker
Default Switching To Charcoal Pan For Longer Burn

Hopefully this post will help those with drafty smokers. Some of you may read and say duh! But, here is my story.

I have never used a charcoal basket. My experience has been with simple fireplace and charcoal grates. Also, I have used grill woks for charcoal. I can only control drafts through the smoker to an I decided
to focus on airflow through my charcoal container. The result, I went from a 2 hour burn to a 6 ~ 7 hour burn around 275 F. If I use a larger pan, I should get a longer burn.

Picture time...
Here is my verticle smoker:

This is a shot from the inside looking at the drafts through the front access and bottom air intake door. I have tried putting aluminum foil around the edges. That works some, but its a waste of foil.

Here is what I have used thus far...a Franklin fireplace grate. I bought it becuase the grate spacing is just right for charcoal.

Here is my $5 fireplace poker from Lowes for stirring the coals and ridding of ash.

Now, here is a simple $5 charcoal pan from Academy. I mounted 4 stainless steel bolts with washers for legs. I also drilled holes in the bottom for air intake. I didn't put holes in the side. I did not want to imitate a grill wok or charcoal basket. My smoker gets enough airflow...don't need to add anymore to the charcoal.

I can get 5 lbs of charcoal in the pan mixed with wood chips.

On a tangent, I wrapped a grate with foil as a deflector then put my cooking grate on the higher level.

Here is a shot through the front access door. I didn't use a charcoal chimney. I simply wadded a portion of paper sack and placed it in the top center of the pile for my starter. Although, I am not abandoning my
charcoal chimney.

So, I will use the pan for smoking, and the fireplace grate for grilling. I hope someone finds this post of value. Thank you for reading.
Vertical Home-Built Smoker, Cook N Kettle SR 59, Alaska Ulu Knife
cousinconley is offline   Reply With Quote