View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
SY82
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
Great looking ribs! I haven't cooked many beef ribs. I see that you cooked 5 hours at 280. Is that a pretty typical cook time/and temp for beef back ribs?
Not sure if beef back ribs are the same as the short ribs I cooked. I've never done beef back ribs before, so I don't know.

This was my first time cooking short ribs, and I scoured the internet looking for different methods. The most common I've come across is cooking at 275. I was actually planning on doing a 3-2-1 (3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and 1 hour wrapped), but I noticed that after the first 3 hours, the ribs were actually probing pretty tender. So I switched the timing and cooked it covered for another 45 minutes (per Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy) and checked for tenderness after. It was probing really well, so I unwrapped it and set it back on for another half hour to try and get a better texture for the bark. Also, I checked to see how easily the meat was separating from the bone when I stuck my probe in there. So I pulled it when I felt the ribs were indicating that they were done. I was aiming for 275, but the cooker kind of settled around 280 on its own, and I didn't fight it. So the cook ended up being about 3 hours unwrapped, 45 minutes wrapped, and 30 minutes unwrapped.

I try to use times as mere guidelines, but ultimately, the feel and look of the ribs helps me to decide whether it's done or not. Hope that helps!
SY82 is offline   Reply With Quote