View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #99
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
How much pellets did you run through on that last big cook you posted? I was just wondering how it would compare to my Backwoods Competitor on fuel usage.
In your opinion would it be cheaper to run the YS1500 or my BW Competitor?

I just sold a stick burner that I bought used and brought back to life and resold it so I have some cash to play around with on my next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Thanks for the info! That's similar timing to my FEC. I'm also curious about the pellet consumption when you have a chance.

I agree on finding big briskets. I used to be able to find 15 lb packers regularly but now I feel good if they are 12 lbs.

Oh yeah... Wrong Yoder

I didn't mention pellet usage!

I can get about 25lbs of pellets in the hopper (I used Lumberjack MHC), I had the controller set a 255* over night to achieve a grate temp of 225*. As the day came around a warmed up, I could set it back down to about 235*. I lit the pit at 9PM the night before, loaded the big cuts at 10:30, pulled the briskets around 1PM and put the finger foods on and kicked the controller up to 265* and ran it there until 4 PM (the fatties were very stubborn). I used a whole hopper plus about 2 more lbs. So this is not exact, but we will say 27lbs over 19 hours, so about 1.4lbs per hour and some of that was at a higher temp. So the pellet usage is pretty good for a cooker this big.

I've never cooked on a BW, but I would guess it's more efficient though.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->