Originally Posted by NOHENS
Man..I would just fire up the thing.....brush it good....and rub lard on it. Then tomorrow repeat. Its fine. I keep a can of cheap pam in my cooking g area and spray the grate when I'm done cooking. After I scrape it that is? Show us a picture of how bad it is? Bet mines pitted worse?
This is the answer. I have the same Akorn grill. I hadn't smoked in months and opened it up and it was completely rusted with mold on the inside. Fired it up to 700 degrees to kill everything then slapped some grease on the grates, shut the vents and let it simmer while the grill was cooling down for the night.
Grill was good to go next day for the cook