View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdickson View Post
thanks for the tips. I got a pork shoulder in there today. its a 3 lb one just for the wife and I. also put two 1 inch chops in there. they were overdone at about an hour. they were tender but almost like ham. seems like its cookin a lot faster. have the heat at about 230 i would say a 3lbs shoulder would usually take about 4-5 hrs at 250. but the meat hit 165 after an hour and a half when i had it at 250 so i dialed it down some.

any thoughts on this?
If you're saying that the pork chops got done fast...yes they will. Thinner cuts of meat will not take long at all. With pork chops I like reverse searing, i'll slow cook them to temp and then give them a quick hot sear. I'm lucky my drum has an adjustable charcoal basket so i'll lift that up and sear or sometimes i'll sear them in a black iron pan with a little oil. Either way I don't take the chops much past 150 at the most.

Sometimes i'll give them a breading and sear first then slow cook them to temp.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote