View Single Post
Unread 06-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #51
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
The "V" stones or rods are OK but liek someoen else posted before, nothing will ever beat practice and skill of using a flat stone with proper angle control. I've got a couple of Fiskar pocket "V" rods that I carry in my camp gear and used to kep one with me in my kits when I was in the field. They were good enough to keep a decent edge on a sharp kinfe but useles when it came to putting an edge on a knife that needed one.
The trouble I found with them was that they would have a tendency if the angle was too high that teh edge would actually bind at the very vertex of the "V" and actually "flatten" the "razors edge" of the knife instead of actually honing it. It was OK for my K-Bar but I wouldn't use it on my Uncle Henry pocket knife. I always carried two small pocket stones with me, one fine, one rough.
I did pretty much the same thing. I carried a stone my Dad gave me. Came from Sears and was fine on one side, rough on the other.

A buddy in my unit taught me how to really sharpen a blade using trial and error and finally whittled a couple of little wedges to place between the blade and the stone. After a few ...dozen passes muscle memory took over. It's now one of those things I could SHOW someone how to do, but I'm not articulate enough to explain it.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote