View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by pmanzi View Post
Right, basically I am just a hired hand. They are getting all the food donated to them from a Sysco vendor I will just be cooking it on their site. The school they are putting the event on for has insurance for the event so is it safe to assume their insurance would cover me as well?
If they are putting on the event and just hiring you to work, then since it's their event, they should be handling all the health department stuff, have insurance, etc. But it's worth asking, because it isn't uncommon for people to try to skirt the law.

Nobody is trying to scare you (or anyone in similar situations) out of doing events, but you always have to imagine the worst case scenario. It's a one in a million shot, but think about what happens if something goes wrong and there's a big sickness outbreak from the event and the group didn't have insurance. So, guess where the fingers start to get pointed? To the person who was handling and cooking the food.

It's highly unlikely anything bad would happen, but it just takes one slip up, one sick person, and one lawsuit to potentially lead to financial ruin.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->