Discussion Thread -> "Let's Get Pickled!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Smoke Dawg, let's start off with :faint2:. I'm pickled from reading your thread! Love how many homemade pickle ingredients you used, I adore potato salad especially with pickles, and holy fark I'm making you an honourary Canadian for that kick azz Bloody Ceasar!! Canucks invented Bloody Mary's famous cousin, Ceasar, with clam juice spiked tomato juice and spices. Da-yum!

et ubi tuum est Ron L

Unfortunately, in the trash. I got sidetracked by my parents visiting and I farked it up beyond repair. Grrrrrr....

I tried to do a spin on Beef Rouladen and hoped to make a Fatty Rouladen, but it didn't work out.

Bummer! Been there Bro. I was lookin forward to it.

Offitt'l Entry. Pickeled Pork Tenderloin Char Siu with Pickle Salad

OK. So you saw the pickle juice post, and the bag o' pickle juice with something in it.

Well, It was this.

pork1_zps3155a5dd.jpg

Pork tenderloin. It pickled for four days. This morning I rinsed it off and gave it a soak foe a bit and had these.

pickle_zps3af07e19.jpg

Meanwhile, I had, the same day the pork was pickled, sliced these.

pickle2_zps5d2c46a5.jpg

Into these.

pickle4_zpsc3650679.jpg

So. Where were we...

Ah yes. Brethren Kirk (chicagokp) In a very generous surprise when he sent some books my way, had included these for me to try

pickle1_zpsec6e8aa9.jpg

So I decided to Char Siu the pickled pork.

pickle2_zps5dc4aabf.jpg

pickle3_zps1e477dd2.jpg

Under the watchful eye of this fellow...

squirrel_zps499a1351.jpg

While I plated. The cucumber, radish, ginger, onion and Serrano pickled salad came out fantastic. Drizzled on the plate with honey. The pickled ginger matched perfectly with the pork when speared on the same bite. Mushrooms sautéed in olive oil and butter atop wild rice completed the meal. I took the tenderloin out of the glazing sauce at 120 IT and directly seared, sliced and drizzled with some sauce.

pickle4_zps1a8c8255.jpg

pickle5_zps12ce2723.jpg

Not sure which plate pic to use. Thanks for the opportunity Ron! I'd not have pickled my own pork if it weren't for this TD. Oh, and I used Alton Brown's recipe for the pickled pork.

On edit, I think I like the very last photo as the TD entry.

Last edited:
Beautiful entry, Guerry! How did the pickled pork taste?

It was quite good. I had tried a piece this morning, straight from the pickle and lightly pan fried. Very intense, and definitely needed a brief soak, but it matched perfectly with the char siu sauce and as I said, pickled ginger. Most recipes I found (Quite a few Australian in fact) used the pickle pork for flavoring as well as a meat source. Red beans in rice was very popular from the search, as apparently the pickled pork is a NOLA kinda thing too.

Smoke Dawg, let's start off with :faint2:. I'm pickled from reading your thread! Love how many homemade pickle ingredients you used, I adore potato salad especially with pickles, and holy fark I'm making you an honourary Canadian for that kick azz Bloody Ceasar!! Canucks invented Bloody Mary's famous cousin, Ceasar, with clam juice spiked tomato juice and spices. Da-yum!

Thanks - I work for a Canadian company and get ther often Ceasars are great and even better with fresh clam juice instead of clamato

It was quite good. I had tried a piece this morning, straight from the pickle and lightly pan fried. Very intense, and definitely needed a brief soak, but it matched perfectly with the char siu sauce and as I said, pickled ginger. Most recipes I found (Quite a few Australian in fact) used the pickle pork for flavoring as well as a meat source. Red beans in rice was very popular from the search, as apparently the pickled pork is a NOLA kinda thing too.
Stellar entry! You had me really guessing what was in the bag! So many options on this one. There are a lot of pickled vegetables here in chili in the Mercados. I have limited cooking and posting opportunities. Awesome job once again as usual! See you in the pie td my bragh! Orale!

Please use this as my entry.

I decided to make a pickled stuffed fatty.

The players
0jba.jpg

Rolled out the sausage
rrh6.jpg

Added a layer of corned beef
a1rb.jpg

Added pickle relish, pickled peppers, and some swiss cheese
gshp.jpg

Wrapped in pastrami and rubbed
thw0.jpg

Coming off the smoker
ket1.jpg

Final result - please use as my entry shot
jtmh.jpg

Deguerre, your entry looks delicious, really delicious. I love dishes that are days in the making. I like the way you talked about the taste of the Char Siu sauce, the pickled pork and the pickled ginger, I can almost taste it. I need to tell my mom you pickled your own ginger, she's in love with stuff and eats it by the forkful. I really like the assortment of vegetables you pickled together, too.

What a great idea, Dauvis. Too bad it has never occurred to me. From the cross-cut perspective of your voting photo I can see the ingredient layers in the fatty and I really like them. You've created an interesting texture to go with the interesting flavours you used to stuff the fatty. That would be fantastic on toasted rye bread, oh man!

And that's a wrap! :-D

Look for the vote thread around noon central time.

Cool. We got eight solid entries and even a Pickled Packard! Some really creative cooks involved in this one for sure, Ron. :clap::clap::clap:

Back