View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #265
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdogj View Post
You're definitely doing something that myself, and a lot of others, only dream of doing. It's awesome just to read about the experience that you are going through and how your information could help someone down the road with their own restaurant startup.

Once again, keep it up! Never put up any ND stuff....great move On Wisconsin! Go Badgers!
Thanks. That was my whole reason for creating this post. In my planning for making this a reality, I found tons of amazing advice on this site and others just by reading about others who have gone down this path before. It's far more helpful than any book. So, I just hope that either in success or failure, by sharing my experience I can help others go on to do their own thing. (or save them a lot of money by convincing them not to do it!)

And boo, no Badgers! I bleed green. Go MSU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginranger View Post
Haha, that's funny. I guess you are a Michigan fan? I'm a Clemson fan but unfortunately live in the town where our rival university (South Carolina) is located.

I've contemplated myself if I would have to somehow promote their university if I wanted to set up a successful BBQ place here. I don't think I have it in me to do it....though. Go Tigers!

As for your situation, I was in college not that long ago, and remember that students would do almost anything for a free t-shirt and a free meal. There were credit card companies who would setup booths on the main strip of Clemson and give people a free meal and t-shirt in exchange for them signing up for a credit card. Now for a credit card company, the tactic is a little sleazy IMO, but it was very effective.

Maybe you could go to the university and hand out coupons with a pretty hefty discount, along with a free t-shirt. Could end up costing a good bit, but hundreds of students wearing your t-shirt would be some great marketing. Then, if you get them in the door with a good discount, they then realize that your food is awesome, that 15-20 minute drive from Notre Dame won't seem too bad anymore.
Michigan is evil! I went to Michigan State, so that's where my allegiance lies.

But good idea on the college freebies. Like you said, I bet there's some opportunity out there to grab some of the student base with something like that. I'll have to brainstorm that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim View Post
get Gordon Ramsey over .... they pay to fit your kitchen, decorate your restaurant, set up neon signboards and also promote your business (for free)
Hah, it's funny you mention that. Just the other night my wife said I should just call Robert Irvine and have Restaurant Impossible come out and finish the place and get the doors open. I think she may have been serious.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->