View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Full Fledged Farker
Question First Ever rib Comp

OK, Brethren...

I have cooked ribs several times this summer to rave reviews from my neighbors at the campground (of course, they love EVERYTHING I cook, so they could have bias).

This weekend, I am entered into my first-ever rib competition at the campground (after winning the chili cookoff back in May). They are supplying baby back ribs from a local meat market to keep everyone on level footing.

They have not yet released the "rubric" and criteria for the ribs (the campground owner saw a bbq show this winter and wanted to bring a small competition to the campground), so I do not yet know if they want "fall off the bone" ribs or ribs with "pull."

My SS Big Poppa UDS usually chugs along anywhere between 225 and 250. I do not yet have a temp controller (although 1st place would put me much. much closer to realizing that dream ), so I can't "dial it in." With the temperature range I listed, what time frame should I be looking at for these ribs?

I've been a brethren long enough to know that every piece of meat is different. We will get supplied with three racks and have to turn in enough bones for four judges. I plan to stagger the start times to have three different textures and tenderness ranges.

What say ye, brethren?
SS BPS EDS April '13, Weber Performer, Weber Genesis Silver C, Smokey Joe
jeffsee is offline   Reply With Quote