View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #52
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzthamoose View Post
soooo salty. the only thing i changed was the second time i used that pink cure, the first i used tender quik. i had a tought time getting how much cure per pound. some recipes called for tons, and some called for not much at all.
When you're doing bacon next time, slice off a center piece after it's cured and fry it up before you smoke it to check for saltiness; if it's too salty, you can soak it in water until it equalizes to your taste. I've over-cured a few bellies and found this works pretty well. I usually use Ruhlman's ratio (for each 5 LBS it's 2 tsp. pink salt + 2 OZ. kosher salt (by weight) + your other cure ingredients) for curing and just dredge the meat until it's completely coated, then shake off the excess and bag 'em.

Also, if you're not doing this already, get a decent kitchen scale so you can weigh your cure ingredients; Morton's Kosher salt weighs more than Diamond Crystal, so volume measures don't produce the same results.
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->