Discussion Thread -> BBQ Brethren "A Viking's Feast" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Official Nuvo Viking entry.

I knew right away that I was going to do Spam of the Sea for this TD, just wasn't sure how. After some research I decided to do grilled cod on potato and ginger croquette with a baked tomato from New Scandinavian Cooking. I also made a mustard sauce (Sennepssaus) from Authentic Norwegian Cooking.

The Spam of the sea was imported from Norwega, although I'm going new school the cod was probably dried and salted by old school vikings. :noidea:

First we must desalinate and re hydrate.

The tomatoes were prepared by cutting off the stem, sticking a sugar cube where the stem was, impaling (sounded like a viking term) it with four whole cloves and one star anise. This went on the grill at 300-350 for 1.5 hours.

After 1.5 hours I moved it into the oven because it needed to go another two hours @ 200*.

I prepared the potato croquettes by grating 7 potatoes, 1 tablespoon of ginger (finely grated), 2 tablespoons of crushed fennel seeds, salt and pepper. (oops no action shots).

The sauce was made with 3 shallots (finely sliced) sauteed in 2 tblsp of butter to that I added 1/2 cup fish stock, 1/2 cup of cream, 2/3 cup of whole grain mustard which was reduced to about half.

Once reduced I added about 2 tblsp of lemon jucie and 1/3 cup of fresh dill.

The cod was simply seasoned with white pepper, granulated garlic and smoked paprika the grilled until it started to flake.

And the money shot.

Thanks for looking.:thumb:

Bluesman Spielberg -- your cook thread is something else! Hilarious story of Ole and Sven cooking, rather, getting cooked (with Leinies)! What a feast you put on, I'm surprised a horde of Vikings didn't crash your dinner! You had enough beer...... :biggrin1:

Smoke Dawg, gorgeous pieces of salmon, my partner loves them. (Had to get an opinion from a fish eater.) Love the way you plated it on a plank, altogether looks like a great meal!

WW4BBQ -- I'm surprised at the size those chunks of cod were able to rehydrate to, wow. I can see why they they were a great way to store food over winter or for seafaring. Really loved the mustard sauce you made and the smoked tomatoes, will try both in the future.

Thanks Kathy. That was a monster piece of fish, I actually split one piece into the two I ended up with and cut off at least half of the length the belly part was too thin and would have dried out. I poached the bellies for my fish stock, the tomato was great but I was really surprised how good the sauce was, I did reduce it a little too much though.

Smoke Dawg, gorgeous pieces of salmon, my partner loves them. (Had to get an opinion from a fish eater.) Love the way you plated it on a plank, altogether looks like a great meal!
Thanks Kathy, It was a fun cook and eating by the fire was even better. Got lucking getting fresh salmon and corn. good timing

Back