View Single Post
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Will the new KCBScore give us organizers more judging info to allow a more precise sort of judges to lower the odds of "cold tables" and "hot tables" ???
Now THAT is the burning question!

I don't know the answer, and I suspect that given how new KCBScore is there has not been an official policy decision made yet. I can see the potential for both good and bad things happening should the data be made available to organizers. Here are a few examples:
  • Organizers could use the data to eliminate judges who habitually issue low scores from their event. (Good)
  • Organizers could use the data to pack tables with judges who habitually score high, in hopes of developing a reputation for being a high scoring event and thus attracting more teams. (Bad)
  • Organizers could leak this information about specific judges to cooks, effectively breaking the blind and possibly leading to harassment of low scoring judges. (Bad)
  • Freshly minted judges who have been scoring consistently with their tables could have an easier time getting work at contests who previously passed them over because of a lack of experience. (Good)
  • Fearing "black listing", judges could begin to artificially elevate scores , inflating results and leading to many ties as all scores below 7 become functionally obsolete. (Bad)
The idea who will have access to the judge tracking data is definitely intriguing and bound to spawn a lot of debate over the next few months. These will be interesting times for KCBS members!
CivilWarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->