Discussion Thread -> BBQ Brethren "A Viking's Feast" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

I didn't know you could enter the same dish in 2 different TD's. Wow, Silverfinger may win both since his entry looks so good! Has that ever happened?

Great job Silverfinger! :thumb:

You can enter two currently running TD's provided the entries fit the category. In this case they do.

And, since the Noobians vs Vets is non-dish specific, he can also enter that one as well, so that would make it three!

:thumb:

IMG_7399_zps2c85a933.jpg

All I can say is WOW just WOW

Most of those I find are either fish based, which my wife won't eat or the meat is boiled. We may need a bit of leeway on this TD. Mods?

Yes, lots of leeway! They did plenty of spit roasting and cooking over an open fire and they smoked a lot of meat in addition to fish, it was one of the few ways they had to to preserve it. Pigs, sheep, goats, cows etc. are big animals, they would have had to smoke some or all of it to preserve the meat for a few days or weeks (as well as winter and seafaring) without refrigerators. The boiling of meat was in soups and stews, which were eaten daily by them (and are regular BBQ Brethren fare here, too)..... but they also ate meat in a lot of other ways. Hunters in ancient cultures spit roasted game and the Vikings did, too. Take a look at the images in this link... http://usa.stockfood.com/image-picture-Man-in-Viking-costume-smoking-meat-00284688.html It's a Viking with his keg smoker! I'm not surprised there are not a lot of Old Viking recipes, it's not 'cuisine' the way we think of it now. Pick one of the meats in the opening post, or find another that would have been locally available (Vikings also lived in places like England and Ireland). Smoke a turkey leg, pork, chicken, a leg of lamb, prepare some other ingredients from that OP list in a simple way and voila`, you have a Viking feast. If you want to make it a more complicated or a gourmet meal, choose a modern Scandanavian recipe from anywhere (the link I gave is http://www.newscancook.com) and use your smoker like an oven and make anything that tickles your fancy. Use local ingredients to the area, either old or new age, and let your imagination go Viking!

From the OP: Typical available meats were pigs, sheep, goats, cows, horses (all for meat and milk); hare, wild boar, squirrel, deer, reindeer, seal, walrus, polar bear; chicken, geese, ducks, wild birds (all for meat and eggs).

Spit roast a squirrel!

Available spices and flavourings were dill, corriander, wild celery, horseradish, cumin, mustard, hops, poppyseed, fennel, sea salt and honey. Since modern Vikings use ground pepper, go ahead and use that, too!

Common fruit and vegetables were wild carrots, turnip, cabbage, onion, apples, plums, cherries, wild strawberries and sloes (blackthorn bush fruit). Hazelnuts and walnuts were gathered. Lingon berries are tough to find outside of Ikea stores, but they are closely related to cranberries so use cranberries, too! You could smoke a turkey with a bread or barley stuffing with apples or cranberries! Don't forget honey was widely used, you could even make a Viking honey-cranberry sauce.

I'm smoking a pork leg today and I'm thinking about making a rub out of dill seed, coriander seed, celery seed, fennel seed, onion powder, sea salt and since we're okay with ground pepper, I'll add that, too!

Silverfinger, you've really DONE IT this time. You cut a handsome viking figure, that is for sure. Beef, scallops, lobster and shrimp are all locally found in Scandanavia. :thumb: Beautifully crusted steak and seafood, great music and Viking details! Thanks for being such great first entry! :clap:

Silverfinger, Thanks for being such great first entry! :clap:

Yaa, now I gotta dig up Olie and Sven ta see vat I can do......dis is not good I tell ya not good. Olga cooks for chit and Helga ain't much bedder. Da two of dem couldn't boil vater............I'm farked. Dat der Silverfinger guy ruined it all.......You betcha........:twitch:

Viking Goddess Rub Recipe

After looking at the list of seasonings available to Vikings I felt torn about smoking a whole pig leg using only those spices. I decided to depart from Old Viking availability and added Modern Viking black pepper, but still, I had reservations about the taste my traditionally-raised Tamworth pig leg would be left with.

Made my rub first thing this morning, tasted it as a few TV chefs have taught me and was flabberghasted to discover I LOVE IT!! It smelled so good, so heady and inviting I was thrilled to cover that beautiful heritage pig leg with it. Go, Vikings, go!

Here's the list of ingredients, the whole seeds were put through the coffee grinder in batches:

2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tbsp dill seed
1 tbsp fennel seed
1 1/2 tbsp coriander seed
3/4 tbsp cumin seed
1/8 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
sea salt to taste

It's been smoking about two hours now, I can't wait to taste the finished meat!

Viking Goddess Rub Rocks!! :rockon:

Nice entry. All my research pointed to stews, too. The stuffed apples were a nice touch, too. Very Viking looking food.

Not sure about the pink plates. :twitch: :becky:

CD

Nice entry. All my research pointed to stews, too. The stuffed apples were a nice touch, too. Very Viking looking food.

Not sure about the pink plates. :twitch: :becky:

CD

Don't forget the modern recipes in www.newscancook.com, there is a whole lot more than soups and stews in there. Anything baked can be adapted to smoking and stovetop can be adapted to grills.

Back