View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #62
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalslover View Post
Not to hijack this but I have a question. My APL book "Serious BBQ" is all marked up from trying many of his recipes. Him and AF are the two guys that I really try to emulate. Funny because Aaron is the ultimate KISS cook and APL likes to do all kinds of things to his meat. Question is about the fler-del-sel. I can't find it anywhere. I found some similar finishing salt but have not used it yet. Do any of you use it and does it really add that much to the flavor? Still can't believe there was an APL sighting-I'm glad he finally found some matches!
Well any discussion of APL would have to include fleur de sel, right? I don't know too many details, but it's a type of sea salt. I'm gonna guess you could probably use sea salt in the place of fleur de sel if you can't find it. I'd say it's more of a flavor enhancer rather than adding a different element to the flavor. Using sea salt or fleur de sel does make a difference when finishing IMO.

I hear ya on the differences - I tend towards KISS but once in a while it's fun to dig into a recipe and a cooking process, and APL's got that going on for sure.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote