View Single Post
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #207
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygbob View Post
Not every bite in a box is the same. What qualifies an individual to get dinged? What about the judge that gets the one piece of pork 'bark' that is just burnt fat or the one "burnt end" that is not rendered. Scoring them according to their actual taste and tenderness makes them an outlier at that table so they get "written up".
We're not talking about a single score in a single category at a single event. The judge's scoring data is useful because it is going to identify those who are outside of the norm on both the high and low sides over a number of categories at a number of contests.

Individual scores are not necessecarily indicative of anyone's average and I certainly wouldn't want to see a judge be confronted for giving an honest score to a single entry.

The real elephant in the room is that for the first time, teams are going to see just how good or how bad the KCBS judging system really is. I have always believed that if a judge cannot articulate their reasoning behind the score he/she gave to an entry they have no business judging in the first place. That's why I have always been a proponent of mandatory comment cards for any score of 5 or lower. Of course, the comment card system is temporarily, (most likely permanently), on hiatus so that really doesn't much matter.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->