View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #59
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Final thoughts? Whew! That's a lot of work. Contrast that with the butts I did on my WSM yesterday. I got it started and didn't need to touch the cooker for 5 1/2 hours. The NBBD seemed like it was a near constant balancing act between a fire that was going out vs. a fire big enough to spike the temperature. The wood I used was pretty dry and that may have contributed to this. Once lit, it would burn fast. I also might have split the wood into too small pieces. I'll keep the splits larger next time.
I sometimes work on an equally "budget" offset cooker..Even once you feel you have her nailed you still get days you are "chasing"... Much like your WSM cooking on my Akorn where a 20 degree swing is huge on the offset is expected and will have you tending vents all the time if you get worked up.. Its about looking at the vent, temps and your wood as when to add..

When I cook on the offset now I run her with vents nearly untouched and just feed it wood when it needs it and fight the urge to pay attention to temp fluctuations.

Although like you I wish to make end to end more equal.. Whether I have the knowledge or ambition to do so is another story..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote