View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Start a full chimney on a turkey cooker or however ya want. Dump said chimney into a 1/2 sheet pan. Pull the fire tray out of your cooker and set the 1/2 sheet of lit coals on the ash pan and close it up. Set the guru to your desired temp. While the cooker heats up, get your fire tray filled with coals and wood leaving a void in the corner where the fan blows. When the cooker reaches 200 Add hot tap water. At 220 replace 1/2 sheet pan of lit coals with your fire tray putting 10-15 hot coals in the void. When the cooker gets to within 10 degrees of your cooking temp. Damper down the guru.
I do it this way cause I dont have to use my cooking fuel to heat up the cooker then.
I also use Briquettes as I think lump burns too hot and less consistant.
I think I read your comments on another thread and forgot about it.

However, I am making a written note of this! This seems like a great idea and I gotta give it a try. I really like the idea of getting the smoker body itself up to temp and then adding hot water, then, putting the fuel basket in with a full load.

It usually takes me about 2 hours to get up to stable cooking temps (no big hurry) and by then, have used a lot of fuel. This should give me a bunch of extra time as well as not having to replenish the water any sooner.

Thanks!!

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote