View Single Post
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
Smokin' Greene
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Modification and Changes

This the basket modification for the minion effect. Works good. I did not make 3 dividers like some people do.
basket modification.jpg

I modified the upper cooking surface after cooking a few times. It was always in the way when cooking on the bottom grates. I cut 6" off.
right lid.jpg

cooking grates.jpg

I modified the ET counter weights. Doors weighed 27# they needed counter weights. The bend in the neck was to shorten the fold back position. They have a nice fluid movement. Not too heavy but wont come open going down the road. I found a very helpful calculation on the internet may have even been on the forum.
Lids.jpg

lids 3.jpg

Modified hinges. First generation hinges real nice laser cut hinges looked great, but function was not what I wanted. The doors were not very fluid and smooth. I actually had to rebuild the doors completely. I had a piece of pipe left over. The 1st doors sprung about a .25" at the bottom and I got carried away with trying to pull them in and warped them pretty bad. So I started over and rebuilt the hinges at the same time. It was a time consuming loss, but turned out better in the end.
hinges.jpg

I also changed the handles at this time to. Laser cut pieces with a down turn to help with that hot wrist/edge of door potential problem. The handles are solid stock 1 1/4" aluminum drilled and tapped.

handles.jpg

Finally Inlet Modification: After first two trial runs I did not like the temperature across the bottom grates. As you can see in the 1st picture I used a inverted inlet that pushed the heat upward, but the bottom of the pit remained cool. After visiting the bbq calculator I realized the inlet was not big enough for cooking chamber. So, I cut 2-2.5" hole below the other inlet and build a removable deflector plate and it worked like a charm. Even temp al the way across. I cooked 2 5# beef rib roast on the far end and 2 racks of baby back pork ribs closest to the fire box. I had a digital thermometer for both side same temp across pit.
inlet.jpg

inlet 5.jpg

inlet inside.jpg

Thanks from:--->