View Single Post
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok reading this over I realize something quite interesting. This rule seems to be very similar to the BBQ-Brethren rule set which has served its event flawlessly in the past few years. Many cooks like the extra clarity and the fact that the rule is still a guideline rather than a directive. Many of the original KCBS rules as well as the BBQ-Brethren rules were/are written as general guideline which assumes there is integrity among teams/cooks to participate in a fair manner. The previous inceptions of the pork rule seemed to call into question all the team integrity rather then offer them a proper course of action.
I think they took a good direction here, albeit without the 5 lb rule which probably should have remained.
Let me see if I can find the brethren rule set and post a link. I think they are nearly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Brethren Rulebook
Pork
Pork is defined as a Whole Shoulder, Butt, or Boston Butt, or Picnic.

Starting weight must be 5.25 lb. minimum. Tenderloins, Loins and pre-trimmed "money muscles" are not permitted. Pork must be cooked whole to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, after which it may be manipulated and finished at the cook’s discretion. For health safety, a temperature of 145 must be maintained until delivery to the judges.

Pork may be submitted as a combination of styles or single style; such as Pulled, Sliced, Chopped or Diced. Bark, the outer layer of the pork, is also acceptable as part of your entry.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/rules.pdf <~~~if anyone wants to see more.

As you can see there is a bit more wording but the intent is the same.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->