View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Butts View Post
Good read, but I would have to disagree. Barbecue by my definition is unique to the individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" no "this way" or "that way". If you like it do it, if you don't, don't. It is common knowledge that competition bbq is a totally different beast than your backyard stuff. That said, most go into it with that mindset and I know of several whose "backyard" bbq with friends is nothing like that same person's "competition" bbq. Some people just enjoy the thrill of the competition and the fellowship. So for these guys to say that competition is ruining "real bbq", whether or not they mean to, they are the ones that are really hurting it. BBQ is good food, good friends, and good times. If all of those are there, then who cares how it happens.

Ok, done with my vent now. Hope everyone has a great day.
I agree with what you are saying about it being up to the individual. However, I also agree with the article a bit regarding how competition que is shaping the perception of people regarding the complicated processes and technique's that go into it. People watch a tv show or visit a comp and think that is what it means to cook "good" que and have a bad experience trying to duplicate the process at home in the back yard.

I also agree with the articles opinion on KCBS to a large degree. With that said though, they've created a major marketing machine that is getting them a lot of attention, and by default, steer's people's perception of what makes "good" que.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is online now   Reply With Quote