View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

there are threads here on the process

basically you take a 55 gal drum and put about 16 1" holes about 6" up from the bottom

cut about a 6" hole in the top of the drum and put a stovepipe adapter and about 6ft of 6" stove pipe on it

take a smaller barrel, 30 gal is best but I could not find one so a 16 gal will work.

Stuff the 16 gal full of wood and put it in the big drum open end facing down

stuff scrap wood between the barrels. Put kindling on the top, light it, put the lid on the 55 gal drum (use welding gloves since you have created a jet engine) and let it burn. Takes about 6 hours. Let it cool overnight and pour it out. You have charcoal.

Here is a pic of it, the top I put on crooked so this was before I straightened it out. Be careful as it gets fuggin hot!! When it was burning at first I could not touch the pipe even with welding gloves on, so I let it burn down some before I straightened out the lid

nice thing about this method is once its lit, thats it you dont add any more wood, just let it burn itself out

this pis was when I first tried it, I cleared out all that brush and debris in the pic when I realized how hot the thing got, but it stayed self contained
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0695.jpg (83.7 KB, 550 views)

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->