Unread 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up Short Rib Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
I've done both back ribs and short ribs and as of late have preferred the short ribs... They are more expensive than the back ribs but around here have a lot more meat on them. Here is link to some I did a while back for a throwdown.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=146669

It shows what they look like and how I prepared them. Hope it helps.

Wife bought me some short ribs - not as nice as the ones you guys showed, but decent enough. Made an attempt at the sauce since I didn't have all the ingredients. Smoked the ribs using cherry chunks and Maple Lump charcoal at 275 for 2 hours and rested for 1/2 hour. Perhaps I oversimplified, and I didn't braise them but they still came out pretty good. One thing I'm going to have to refine is how much smoke is needed. I think I oversmoked, cause a lot of the time the chunks were blowing white smoke, and I don't think that much is needed. I had 3 to 4 chunks in most of the time. One or two would have been sufficient. The other thing I'm wary of (and this is cause I'm used to grilling) is overcooking. I keep thinking that will toughen the meat. Gotta get past that. I guess that's why braising in this case would have helped.
Thanks for all the help. This site is an amazing resource, especially for someone only a couple months into this smoking addiction.
I think I'm going to do some caveman steaks next. I'm really intrigued by that process. Nice to have a smoker (Napoleon Apollo 3 in 1) that's that versatile.
Hedgeley is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.