View Single Post
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Independence Day (B-Day) Surf & Turf

Tri-Tip & Scallops!
Well, the Florida monsoons kicked in right on time and it started raining about the time I needed to start the fire in the SM pit so went to plan B and fired up the 26.75 OGT on the back patio. A chimney of lump and some dried hickory. Used fire bricks to create a direct zone and an indirect zone; man I love the real estate on this thing!

Cooked indirect for 30 minutes turning once until IT hit about 100* then on direct to an IT of 125* (we like our more rare than most).

Then off to rest for 20 minutes in a covered foil pan. While they were resting, we prepped & cooked the "surf" part of the meal. First, wilted some spinach and lined sea-shells (these are not the bay scallop shells, got then somewhere just for cooking).

Then added 6-10 bay scallops (these little suckers are about 3/4 inch in diameter and 1 inch long), a dusting of panko, little garlic butter, bearnaise and crispy bacon bits).

And into the Weber on a dying fire at about 350* for 15 minutes, just until the scallops are warm and a hint on smoke.

Close-up headed to the plate.

And of course, the tri-tip.

Had some broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes and a salad to accompany the main course(s).
Our prospective DIL made desert, and Independence Day layer cake with cheery, strawberry and blueberry flavoring.

That's it, thanks for looking.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->