View Single Post
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
legendaryhog
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauvis View Post
I forgot to add that part to my original post. At one point, I watched the temperature drop by about 30 degrees in five seconds. When that happened I closed the cover on the chimney to about 1/4. Seems like I might need to improve the sealing as well.
Wow, that is really quick temp drop. I think the wind got you on this day. Just to be clear, the aluminum tube I was talking about (if you can't move your smoker) is just some aluminum foil (like two or three pieces) that you roll into a ten inch or so tube, then scrunch one end over your chimney and bend the open top-end away from the direction of the wind.

Also, unless you have a good baffle (a diagonal piece of metal between your fire box and smoking chamber) don't go overboard and face the firebox end into the wind. You will likely get too much air blowing through your pit and you could get ash all over your food.

If you want to seal your lid better, which is a good idea, I suggest ordering some adhesive felt from a site that sells the Big Green Egg. It is just some felt with adhesive on one side and costs about $13-15 for the Large. Put some on both insides of your lid (inside of the lid when you open it and outside on the smoke chamber around where the lid touches where you close it) so the felt strips touch each other when you close your lid. Easy way to make a good seal. Will take you about five minutes to clean the area so the adhesive sticks well and five minutes to apply the felt. I use it on my big stick burner as well as my Egg and it works great.