View Single Post
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #12
bbqjoe
Banned

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
There are lots of Staphylococcus types and they are not all pathogenic or toxic. They are little round balls that clump together and look like grapes. For example there is Staphylococcus Epidermidis is not pathogenic and is probably present on the skin of every human on earth (100%). That is why it is named Epidermidis. It is part of the normal flora on our skin.

Then there is staphylococcus aureus which is pathogenic and can make you sick with everything from zits to pneumonia. But our bodies can fight these little buggers of pretty efficiently and most infections are localized in the form of puss filled pockets. This is why food handlers are not suppose to have any cuts or rashes on their hands and arms. If S. aureus gets into the blood stream they cause toxic shock that can lead to death. The little guys produce a protein that causes blood cells to pop (hemolytic).

The S. epidermidis cannot cause blood cells to pop and might even be beneficial to our skins health. There are lots of Staphylococcus species but these two are by far the most common. And that is all I remember from my Microbiology classes 35 years ago. Oh ya, I think they are all gram positive. The really bad bacteria are usually gram negative. Lastly, it is easy to kill bacteria. All you have to do is raise their temperature to 250 degrees with 15 pounds of pressure for 15 minutes. Pretty much standard for pressure cookers.
Good stuff there Wayne!
Good input.

But remember, the bad ones produce toxins (poisons) and the poison is not affected by heat.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote