View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

The Ideal situation for a perfectly cooked pizza on an ceramic is to have the dome heat equal or higher than the stone that it sits on. This is the challenge. I have read multiple entries on the egg forum and this is a tall order. When I made pizzas in the past on my wood fired oven, I would know when the oven was ready by looking at the dome. When it is white hot, and I mean WHITE HOT, you're good to go. The challenge on the egg is that the plate setter gets way to hot before the dome comes to temp. You want a raging fire without the pizza stone in place. Take the vent completely off the egg and let it rip. Onece the dome is up to temp, open the egg set the pizza stone quickly, and wait for it to come up to temp. The best way to check the temperature of the dome and the stone is with an IR gun. They are available at Harbor freight. You shoot the IR beam at the stone and the dome and ideally, for me, the temperature should be around 750 degrees. Pizza will cook in less than a minute and a half at that tempurature, don't peek! You'll loose the heat!
I hope this helps!
Jed

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Member KCBS, FBA, CBJ, and Founder French Bbq Association www.kcbs.fr
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->