Thread: Newbee Trials
View Single Post
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Please know that your first X number of cooks (X being somewhere between 2 to 15) has more to do with fire and smoke control than it does actually cooking. I know that probably sounds strange, but it's true. Focus on trying to hit and hold a temperature, and finding the temperature your smoker likes to hold. If that temperature is somewhere between 240 to 280, you're golden. Smoke, not billowy white, and not black. Sweet "thin" blue is desired. That also shows you have a very clean burning, usually small, but hot fire. With sweet blue you wont have creosote blackening your meat(s) either.

Understanding this (above), I start with the most forgiving meat of all of them, and that's a pork butt. Bone in, 8-10#. Use a simple rub.

Also, because your first few smokes are about learning how to manage and control your smoker, I've always suggested that you foil your butt after a few hours. The reason (for those who are against foiling) is this: Foiling helps reduce the potential negative happenings to your meat. If you have a flare up; it's less likely to burn or dry out your meat. If you get into an over-smokey situation, your meat is protected. And so on.... Me, I'd suggest foiling about that 3rd to 4th hour.

1 members found this post helpful.