View Single Post
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I use clean hands and gloves nearly 100% of the time...I used to get finger nail-bed infections when I butchered a lot and handled a lot of raw meat (I'm guessing a lot of it was salmonella but the doc never got back to me with the culture results)...once I started using gloves the infections were greatly reduced.

There is a general rule in food handling that you always use gloves for food not being cooked (or additionally cooked) -- in other words, technically you can handle raw meats with bare hands (clean, of course) because the meat will then be cooked - however, to keep Phil and other squeamish types from calling the Reps or food cops on you, it's best to wear gloves at all times.

Changing gloves between meats (prep time) is a no-brainer, especially when handling the chicken.

I use heavy duty neoprene (plumber or welder type) gloves to handle the meat in the cooker - I can usually get away with no liners, but a cotton glove liner makes a huge difference in the time you can hold a 14# brisket while waiting for someone to get off their ass and move the stuff off the cutting board (no, Tim is never guilty of this!!).

I prefer the nitril type but unpowdered latex work ok for me. I do prefer the heavier gauge gloves and like them to fit. I don't like poly gloves or the thin plastic "sandwich maker" type disposables.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote