View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Thanks guys. I like "sear in rear" because it tends to avoid that well-done grayish "ring" around the edges of the meat. But I find that my coals don't really have enough energy left in them by that time to get a nice sear. What do you guys do about that problem?
Yes, that would be the reverse sear as you describe it, and the only way I cook large pieces of meat as it cooks much more evenly that the traditional way.

As to the coal problem you mention, what works for me is to dump about half a chimney starter of lit coals over about 2-3 times as many unlit coals, spread them evenly over the unlit coals, then add chunks of whatever smoking wood I'm in the mood for. This method easily can get me a solid 3 hours of cook time if I need it. In the case of a filet, the cook time is pretty short, probably around 30-45 mins, so at that point, the coals are at their hottest point for that final sear. I usually do the sear when the internal temp of the meat hits about 110 degrees.
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote